Tuesday, 24 May 2011

sad.......

Yesterday a little boy I had the privilege of knowing for 6 of his 7 years, died. It was time, some might say more than time. He had been poorly for so very long, but even on the day that turned out to be his last, he smiled, he enjoyed stories, he welcomed his family. And then he left, very very simply, leaving everyone reeling with shock, even though we knew we should have been expecting it.
 
But I wanted to remember him, and record somewhere, how special he was, I will forever remember his smile and his gorgeous curls. And to say how amazing his parents are. They have walked an impossible tightwalk, between doing everything that made his life as free from symptoms as possible, and not doing too much, or too little. And they did it with love and care and humour.
 
So in what have been the 2 most difficult days of my new job (so far), I can say that I wouldn't have been anywhere else, that I am very grateful that I was there, at his 'parting' and afterwards for his parents. And that I hope that I helped. I think it did. My hope is that I was able to be God's presence in that place. That I was able to walk as Jesus walked.
 
And I know there will be more days like this - it is inevitable in this job. Which makes me very grateful for all the people who have carried me (and the family) in prayer. Thank you.

No comments: