It's struck me recently how the smallest of words can have the broadest of meanings.
OK - what exactly is ok? It's our stock answer to the 'how are you?' question, but can hold so many options. Particularly in the context of grief. I'm just as likely as anyone to ask this question faced with someone who has lost someone precious, mainly because what else do you say, and I hope its better than saying nothing. I often follow it with a 'that's a daft question, isn't it?'. But I decided recently that anywhere between not getting up, washed or dressed (and there's occasions when this is ok), and not being in complete denial, counts as 'ok'. Thinking some more post Sarah's accident has made me acutely aware that it can encompass huge relief and gratitude, and reeling with shock and what might have been - we were ok, and are ok (moving towards the much more ok now).
NORMAL is another of those words....as I shopped in Abingdon today I heard people talking about getting back to normal - 'whatever that is'. I thinks its another moveable feast. I love the normal of a house full of children and mess, and I like the normal of a day of peace and quiet, and a busy day at work.
LOVE - came down at Christmas, as a tiny baby, helpless and defenceless, to rescue us, to answer the forever question of what is God's answer to pain and suffering - JESUS.
THANK YOU - isn't a big enough word(s).
No comments:
Post a Comment