Yesterday I went to prison..............I was invited to go and meet the nurses who work in a local prison for boys age 15-18. It was sad, very sad, hearing about boys who have a literacy age of 7-11, who, generally, have been brought up to believe that they can trust no one, who find that prison is the first safe place they have ever been in, and do not want to leave. Hearing of a small number of boys who are registered sex offenders - at 15!!!! Who have a 99 year life service on them. It made my heart cry - what have we done to let them get to this place. I know that's a stock phrase - the failings of society, but I was really challenged about what have I ever done to help them? Now I'm not about to radically change careers here, but I will be praying that somehow, someway, God will reach them, and for the people who work with them.
It was all the more poignant of course because PJ is 16 - that could have been him, in another life.......
No comments:
Post a Comment