Saturday, 8 September 2012

Parenting young adults

Parenting is always an adventure, its always about trying to stay one step ahead of your kids, anticipating the next step of their development, the next step of freedom. They're have been times when I've had to say -  give me a moment, let me think- which I think is ok, because its ok for your kids to know that you need to learn, and grow and adapt.
 
So my/our latest challenge is being a parent to young adults. In very different ways its been an interesting summer. If you read my last blog you'll know what's been going on with PJ. And that I've been very peaceful about it all summer (aside from some initial uncertainty). But I've been slightly thrown these last few days, as he's just returned to Southampton, and is looking for work, and just beginning to find his feet in his Church. And I'm fretting, just a bit, about him being on his own, about him finding work, which is daft, because I know God's plan for his life is amazing. But then I know I'm only human.
 
The other interesting perspective has been some stuff that Sarah has experienced this summer. Someone judged her unfairly, spoke harshly to her, hurt her. Which, of course, hurt me, and Paul. But she's an adult, and we're not supposed to feel this for her.......Now amazingly God has completely overwhelmed me. and swamped me with his peace. I've still had some unkind thoughts towards the person involved but God has challenged me, and held me. And Sarah has, after a few weeks, had a complete and unreserved apology. But its been interesting....
 
On a much more positive note we've had Hannah staying here all summer, which has been lovely, seeing her and PJ together, seeing her as part of our family.
 

No comments: