I've been thinking for a few days that I should blog but wasn't sure what to blog about. I'm fully over my flu/sinusitis which is good, half term flew by, PJ was busy on his life guarding course (and passed so is qualified - now has to get some work!), Sarah and Paul didn't stop, I had a couple of days off. I got a parking ticket because I made a silly mistake. Stuff, but not enough to blog about.
But I was just reading a blog I follow and it sort of pulled together some thoughts in my head and I decided they probably were worthy of a blog, so here they are.
These last few days I've had a series of moments where I have been reminded how special the kids I work with are, how amazing their families are, how rubbish the stuff they have to deal with sometimes is. One particular family is quite articulate about the fact that they aren't amazing but I disagree - you see the thing they have in common is that they just get on with stuff, do their best, treasure the small things (to pinch a phrase the 'inchstones') and shoulder the bad stuff. They do their best, even when that means saying I need help to do this, or I cant do this anymore. The more I work with these families the more I learn that what is right for an individual family can only be defined within the context of that family, there are no generalisations (or is that a generalisation?!) you cannot expect what worked for one family to work for another, predict how anyone will cope, or judge anyone for how they cope. What you can do is walk alongside them, listen to them, and, if they want it, speak out for them.
And if you're lucky you get to share a moment painting a lantern.
Its not the right phrase, because I don't claim any of the enormity of what He did or is, but sometimes my job is like a crown of thorns - it is an amazing honour and responsibility (the crown bit) it has beautiful gems in it (crown again) but sometimes it hurts or is horrible. Today I'm seeing some of the gems so I guess I'll keep the crown for now (but will probably wish I could change it tomorrow).
Not sure if any of that makes sense, and I really really hope I haven't offended anyone
Kal
1 comment:
you could not offend anyone if you tried!!! Love Ya
Post a Comment